Major boost for underwater safety
The Australian Underwater Federation (AUF) is responsible for "Bringing sport, conservation and awareness to the underwater world" and we are delighted with a recent grant from the Queensland Government to increase the safety of spearfishers, skindivers and snorkellors in Queensland waters.
The total grant is for $27377.00 and comprises three components
- Printing and Distribute Safe Spearfishing DVD $8200.00
- Review and rewrite training modules. $18,000
- Print and distribute safety brochures $1177.00
Luke Randall is Queensland Chair of the AUF Spearfishing Commission and has survived a serious accident of being run?over by a boat while spearfishing at the Gold Coast in 2006. "I am fortunate to have survived a nasty accident and pleased that this grant will improve safety forother spearfishers and snorkellors as this grant will make a huge difference to improving safety training and communication" said MrRandall.
A national "Spear Safe" committee has been set up to increase safety of spearfishing and freediving and the focus of this committee includesregular meetings, articles, DVD, website, risk assessment, stickers. "I am pleased that the Queensland AUF will work closely with ournational, NSW, Vic, SA and WA volunteers to make a positive difference" said Mr Randall.
" I delighted that the Queensland Government has recognised the importance role of the AUF Queensland and our vision and commitmentto improve safety for all participants. The review of training modules will focus on spearfishing and snorkelling but will also include otherunderwater sports played in swimming pools such as Underwater hockey" said Judy Breeze, Executive Director, AUF Queensland.
Simple safety tips for safe diving
- Tow a diver (blue and white) flag and float to increase visibility
- Knife to prevent entanglement
- Weight belt with quick release buckle
- Never load speargun out of water and cover speartips
- Tell someone where you are going
- Dive with a buddy
- Do a risk assessment of conditions (weather, visibility, boat traffic, marine life)
- Never hyperventilate and dive within your limits